At Bunker Hill in 1726, Colonel Morgan Morgan founded the first permanent settlement of record in the part of Virginia that became West Virginia. In commemoration of this event, the state of West Virginia has erected a monument in Bunker Hill State Park, and has placed a marker at the grave of Morgan Morgan, which is in a cemetery near the park. The first Episcopal church (Morgan Chapel and Graveyard, also known as Christ Church) in what is now West Virginia was erected at Bunker Hill by Morgan Morgan in 1740. The church is located next to a restored woolen mill that is the current home of Bunker Hill Antiques, a 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) antiques and collectibles mall. Morgan Morgan built his cabin between 1731 and 1734. The cabin was restored as a Bicentennial project in 1976, using many of its original logs. Located along County Route 26 west of Bunker Hill, it is a historically furnished museum and is the home of the Morgan Cabin Committee.
Bunker Hill’s Mill Creek Historic District is the site of the Bunker Hill Mill, a gristmill that contains 19th and 20th centuries milling equipment, still in operating condition. The mill was constructed in 1738 and rebuilt in 1890 and serves as the only mill in the state featuring dual water wheels. One of the three churches in the historic district, Bunker Hill Presbyterian Church, was built in 1854.
On July 17, 1861, Bunker Hill was near the site of a small Civil War skirmish between the Union Army and the Confederate Army. Also Johnston Pettigrew was mortally wounded during a Confederate retreat to Virginia a few days after Gettysburg on July 17 1863.